Monday, July 8, 2013

'Is Google Making Us Stupid?' and 'Electracy' Review

After reading 'Is Google Making Us Stupid?' by Nicholas Carr I took a step back and viewed my own life and how technology has affected my life. I also tried to put myself at a college university in the '70s when the internet wasn't used to the extent that it is today. When a teacher assigns a reading for a class I look forward to the online readings as compared to readings out of a book and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's because when I read books I know that there isn't anything else I can do with that book. I might enjoy reading from the internet because I do other things on the internet like listen to music and go on YouTube. I don't really know.

  1. Have Americans become lazy thanks to the internet and sites like Google?
  2. Will future generations become more stupid than prior generations or will the internet help them retain information easier?
Gregory Ulmer's 'Electracy' explains the potential for new media. Ulmer explains that there are three different dimensions of "thought, practice, and identity". The first two are orality and literacy while the third is electracy. Orality represented religion while literacy represented science. Electracy represents entertainment and Ulmer says that electracy focuses a lot on imaging. Ulmer also says that these three dimensions interact with each other and that one doesn't take over another.

  1. Why is it that we have transitioned from religion to science and science to entertainment?
  2. Has electracy been introduced by teachers and professors in today's society?

No comments:

Post a Comment