Sunday, July 14, 2013

"Digital Media vs. Analog Media" and "Screen Writing" Review

Today I read chapters two and three of Brian Carroll's "Writing for Digital Media". Chapter two, titled "Digital Media vs. Analog Media", compared digital media and analog media, primarily text on the internet versus print text in books. I really am not a fan of reading especially on computer screens. My eyes just can't take it I guess. Books make me fall asleep and I can't stay focused when reading such a huge amount of words. In case you haven't noticed, reading really isn't my thing. This chapter made me realize that the internet really has made my attention span a lot shorter. I look for information the easy way when I am on the internet and I like knowing the answers very quickly. That is my favorite thing about the internet. I learn a lot of information on the internet and even though they might not be as in depth as what a book might explain to me, I get a general picture. Carroll discussed "scanability" and the characteristics that tag along with it. I thought about how my eyes view a computer screen and the diagram in the book was spot on. My eyes go randomly all over the page unlike a book where we read left to right over and over again. Scanning internet pages is very easy for users to do but page developers must create a very precise structure for their site. If I see a page that I don't like after four or five seconds, I usually leave or exit out of it.


Chapter three was titled "Screen Writing". This article discussed coding and how crucial it is in making a successful website. I hate websites that are difficult to navigate and I know that many people hate having to try to figure it out and when they lose their patience, they just leave. Website designers must have good tone, style, hidden simplicity, good structure, and usability according to Carroll. My ideal website is easy to read, simple without me knowing it, and easy to navigate (simplicity is key for me). If I am reading something very academic-sounding then I automatically lose interest. I feel like that is for books and I can't do it. When I am on the internet, I expect something other than what a book might give me. As this semester goes on I hope to gain a better grasp on coding and I hope to make this blog a little more aesthetically pleasing.

This video better explains the details of HTML, Flash and CSS that Carroll discusses in his book:


No comments:

Post a Comment