Monday, July 15, 2013

"Headlines and Hypertext" and "Journalism of Verification" Review

HEADLINES AND HYPERTEXT

When I read chapter four of Brian Carroll's "Writing and Digital Media" titled "Headlines and Hypertext", I found out how much I really rely on headlines when surfing the internet. If a headline disinterests me, I exit out of there so fast. When I find one I like, I will go further into the topic I was searching for. I don't like it when websites have blurbs and blurbs of words. If websites were supposed to be just words then we might as well just read book after book. Not only does the internet save space but it also provides pictures, videos, and other media that books and print don't allow. The internet also allows color, sound, and tone which are absent in traditional books.

JOURNALISM OF VERIFICATION

What really struck me in "Journalism of  Verification" was when Kovach and Rosenstiel discussed objectivity in journalism. I think being subjective rather than objective is beneficial in journalism. If an author is being subjective in one article I would hope they would be consistently subjective in all of their articles. We get a deeper personal perspective that would be honest and not full of crap. If a journalist is reaching out to a broad audience their writing must appeal to the masses but if an author is reaching out to a particular crowd then their writing will be more respected in my opinion.

Here is an article by Richard F. Taflinger of Washington State University titled "The Myth of Objectivity in Journalism" that describes my personal opinion pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment